Thursday, October 9, 2014

Disc to Digital Part 2: Setting Up and Customizing Plex

This is the second article in a series of three about converting one's movie and TV library from DVD and Blu-ray discs to computer-based files fit for streaming. Previously I posted about ripping video DVDs and Blu-rays to digital files. In this article I'll be writing about setting up and customizing Plex to enjoy streaming digital content to your TV.

I use Plex with a Roku 3. I describe it as Netflix, but only with the content that I love.

It's easy to get started with Plex, simply sign up for a free account and download the free Plex Media Server software. Plex runs in your web browser so the install is pretty small.


Once installed, I access Plex Media Server from the Windows System Tray.


Plex is organized as a series of libraries. I think of these libraries as genre folders, and organize my content on my computer in the same way.


To add a "library" or folder to Plex, click the plus symbol (+) in the upper left of the Plex Media Server window.


Select the type of media, such as Movies.


Name the library and then click Next.


Click Add Folder.


Browse to the folder and then click Add.


Click Add Library.


Plex scans the folder and downloads metadata and artwork automatically, just be sure to name your files simply as, in this case, the movie names.



How cool is that? I must say that this is the moment that I fell in love with Plex. I thought that I was going to have to load artwork and movie info myself. But no, Plex does it all automatically, and for free!


One of the nice things about Plex though is that it's very easy to customize. For instance, I want my movies Predator and Predators to have a similar artwork flavor, which they don't by default.


To change this, I can simply hover over the artwork for Predators and click the Edit tool.


I then click on Poster and select the artwork that I like. I can also upload new artwork here.


I repeat the process for Predator and end up with artwork that is more congruent between the two movies.


You may customize your library as little or as much as you like.

Over on the Roku client side, I simply added the free Roku Plex channel. When I launched it, it found my media server automatically and I then simply told it to connect.


Now whenever I add to or otherwise update my library on Plex Media Server on my PC, Plex on the Roku is automatically updated!


Playing the content on the Roku is smooth, just like using Netflix with a very fast Internet connection. It even keeps track of where you last stopped watching each title.


Related:
Disc to Digital Part 1: Rippin!
Disc to Digital Part 3: That VUDU that You Do!

No comments:

Post a Comment